Roof repair or replacement, which is better?
We know how frustrating it can be when your roof starts to leak or begins to become exposed to the outdoor elements. It can leave a lot of cause for concern on what are the best steps to take. Not only this but it can be a cause of concern for the amount you will need to spend and whether a simple repair will be effective enough or you will need to completely rehaul your whole roof and get a new one installed.
Your roof is a pivotal part of your home and when it becomes damaged not only is it a health and safety concern for those living inside but also without a solid structure and protection acting as the roof of your home, the interior of your building will begin to deteriorate and it will cause damage to the belongings inside. This means that it is more important than ever to get your roof repaired or replaced quickly, however, which option is better?
Throughout this article, we will explore the pros and cons of both repairing your roof and the choice of installing a whole new roof for your building or home. Hopefully, by the end of this article, you will have an expert idea of what option is the best choice for your damaged roof and what the best choice for your budget is.
Choosing a roof repair or roof replacement
If you have little to no knowledge about roof repairs and roof replacements, the whole discussion on which service will be most cost-effective and the best choice for your home or building differs on each unique circumstance. However, we will provide you with a breakdown of each service including the pros and the cons plus the cost so you can make an informed decision before speaking with a roofing company or qualified roofer.
Depending on your budget a direct roof replacement is out of most people’s budget, especially if your roof has suffered an immediate complication that has resulted in damage that needs to be repaired quickly. Roofs can be damaged and cause you issues out of the blue, meaning that you may not have the funds available to splash out on a complete replacement. Instead many people opt for a roof repair service that is not only quick but also affordable within the scope of their budgets whilst being able to act as a reliable and temporary solution until you have enough disposable income to fully replace your old roof.
By using a high-quality and reliable roofing contractor or local roofing company within your area, you can ensure that your roof is repaired effectively, reliably and can be durable enough to keep your roof in good working condition until you think about replacing it with a new one minimising the risk to your belongings, home and people inside.
There are some factors to consider when it comes to selecting a roof repair option rather than a roof replacement which we have discussed in the pros and cons breakdown below.
- Roof repairs are an affordable option for minor repairs.
- Helps extend the durability and lifespan of your roof.
- Increases the value of your home by improving the maintenance if you decide to sell.
- Improves the safety of your home by securing the roof.
- Small repairs are not often long or time-consuming repair projects.
- Repairs are only a temporary option and if your roof is old and requires multiple repairs every couple of years, the costs will add up and be more expensive than a full roof replacement.
- When replacing certain roofing tiles or shingles it can be hard to find a direct replacement and colours may mismatch causing an aesthetic difference that can stand out.
- Roof repairs can hide and mask major underlying issues causing you to have to spend more when it comes to having to do a full roof replacement. Furthermore, it may uncover major underlying problems that would need to be addressed.
- Getting your roof repaired can be inconvenient which may require you to temporarily locate depending on the extent of the repairs.
When You Should Choose It
You should consider opting for a roofing repair from a professional roofing company or roofing contractor if your roof is suffering from any of the following problems:
- Minor weather damage
- Small leaks
- Poor installation
- Small holes
- Missing shingles
Of course, getting into contact with professional roofers or a local reputable roofing company that can perform an audit of your roof and help provide you with the best professional advice on the next steps is always the best option as it may be a cheaper option to replace your entire roof if they deem it is necessary to do so as each roof is different and everybody’s roofing issues are different on a case by case basis.
The average cost of a roof repair project depends on a case-by-case basis as every roof repair project is different with its own set of problems and costs of materials. That being said, typically, if you are getting your roof repaired by a reputable roofing contractor they will charge a standard rate between £25 – £35 per hour or £200 -£300 per day for labour costs to repair your roof.
Sometimes a whole roof replacement is a more cost-effective and necessary method of repairing your entire roof. If your roof is installed properly then it should be able to withstand the elements and last for up to 20 years without any cause for concern.
That being said, we see many roofs that have been installed inadequately resulting in a premature decline of that roof as poor workmanship from the original installer has caused people the need to get their roofs replaced earlier than required.
In addition to this if you have suffered intense or extreme weather has resulted in significant damage it may be a better and more affordable option to completely remove and reinstall a new roof rather than look to roof repairs.
When roofs have been installed inefficiently or have been hit with irreparable damage due to extreme weather or an unforeseen circumstance, there is no other option than to replace the entire roof because multiple repairs can lead to further issues that will result in further costs and is simply not worth it.
We recommend getting in touch with a professional roofer or roofing company that can help advise you on the best steps to take whether that be a full roof replacement or a roof repair.
Below we have listed the pros and cons of a full roof replacement and what you should consider when choosing this option to solve your roofing issues.
- A new roof will last longer than regular maintenance and multiple roofing repairs.
- Will help save you money in the long run if you require lots of little roofing repairs that will eventually add up and cost you.
- Improves the value of your home significantly when selling.
- Improves the overall aesthetic and look of your home or building.
- Can help reduce the cost of your energy bills by creating a fully insulated home that is more energy efficient.
- New roofs often come alongside a warranty providing peace of mind if the worse was to happen once again.
- Replacing and renovating your entire roof can be an expensive procedure.
- A roof replacement project can take a lot longer than a typical roof repair and may require you to relocate during the installation process.
- As you are using more materials, the cost will be increased in comparison to a typical repair.
- Removing an entire roof can result in finding other underlying issues which may need to be amended before installation.
When You Should Choose It
You should consider choosing a roofing replacement service from a professional roofer or roofing contractor if your roof suffers from any of the following issues:
- If your roof is at the end of its 20 – 25 year life expectancy.
- Your roof has been damaged severely by weather or unforeseen circumstance.
- Your roof was originally installed inadequately.
- Major water leakage
- Major cracking
- Multiple large holes
As mentioned before it is always best to get a professional’s opinion before deciding anything major on whether you should opt for a full roof replacement or just the standard roof repairs service. Although you may suffer from the issues listed it may be more cost-effective to repair depending on the circumstances and the advice of a professional roofing company.
The average cost of a full roofing replacement differs on a case-by-case basis. For example, some buildings may only have a small roof meaning fewer materials and labour will be needed compared to a massive commercial building that will need a lot more. Furthermore, particular roofs may have a different roof structure that is more complicated to replace compared to others so there are a lot of different factors to consider when it comes to the cost.
On average the typical roof replacement may cost around however as mentioned previously these prices are not a set standard and can differ for each project.
In conclusion, as everybody’s roofs are different and every roofing issue has to be taken on a case-by-case basis it can be difficult to tell whether a roof repair or a roof replacement will be the best choice for your roof.
Therefore it is important that you get in contact with a reputable and certified roofing contracting company that specializes in roof repairs and roof replacements. Fortunately, if you are based within the South West area, particularly in Melksham, Bath, Bristol, Radstock or Frome and need an affordable and efficient roof repair or full roof replacement, contact A L King Roofing who are the leading roofers who have well established and highly skilled team that will get your roof back to top condition in no time.